Friday, October 10, 2008

Lab Coat Obsession

Ok… So I am obsessed with my students. I want to take ALL of them home with me.

I don’t think I have mentioned yet how in Science they all wear matching, white scientist lab coats with matching scientist goggles with their matching little boy and little girl uniforms on underneath. Precious. So I LOVE it when they wear their lab coats. I purposefully try and plan lessons that will make them wear their lab coats! Ok yay.

Well this week we have been learning about differences in living and non-living things. There are seven characteristics that make something living. They must possess all of these: Movement, Respiration, Sensitivity, Growth, Reproduction, Excretion, Nutrition. They call it MRS. GREN to help them remember it. Well in my classes we came up with songs to help us remember.
Each class collaborated together and came up with their own tune and movements to MRS GREN.
Today I brought my video camera so that I could capture how stinkin’ adorable they are. I will soon post the video once I get it uploaded and edited.

While they were practicing the song I pulled out my video camera and told them I would be filming this time. They immediately jumped up and said
“Ooooo! Oooooo!! Ms Terry!” (in cute little boy and girl British accents)
“Can we put on our lab coats?!?”

I looked at them like a fat kid looks at cake. Hahaha maybe not that creepy. But like a 5 year old on Christmas morning. I had a smile on my face like I had just won a million dollars.
“ummmm……. Let me think (pause) Yes, children, yes you can”
It was like the stars aligned. Obviously I’m not going to make them put on their lab coats to sing a song. Did I want them to put on their lab coats? Abso-freakin-lutley!
And the best part is…they WANTED to!!!

Ok, as if this day couldn’t get any better, one of my classes decided to dance and sing their song to High School Musical! There’s nothing I like more than living life as a musical, and that’s exactly what it felt like. We sang and danced around the room in our lab coats and goggles and it was grand.

Then as we were settling down, I may or may not have told them to leave their lab coats on...Am I bad? To find joy in them wearing their lab coats? When they aren’t doing anything of lab coat importance but instead just taking notes.

Haha. Who am I and what have these lab coats made me become?

Ps. They also popped their lab coat collars and threw their hands up like gangstas.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

hey it's lauren!

I SO WANT TO COME AND STEAL YOUR KIDS! oh my goodness they sound so awesome and cute!!!!!!! i am so jealous you are in ENGLAND while i am still in texas..... :P do you think you will stay over there when you are done student teaching?

la beast said...

hahahaha you cant have them!!!
I don't know yet if I will stay. I think I could if I wanted to, but I didn't realize how much I'd miss Texas...and Thanksgiving :)

Unknown said...

Ahh Tay, you are too funny. I have taken to reading your blog when I'm at work just to brighten up my day! I can just picture your face when the kids wanted to wear their lab coats - and you do such a good job of describing your joy! I love it. Glad you're having fun and loving your kids. If you can, sneak one in your suitcase when you come home!

MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected